Today was the big day! Mark and I went in this morning at 7:30 for him to give his 'sample'. I was able to drive him to work and still get him there on time. My appointment was at 9:30 so they had time to prep his sample for the IUI procedure. Now, I never thought I would get pregnant when my husband wasn't present but I guess that is the way it goes.
The whole thing was very anticlimactic. They made me double check that the 'sample' they had in their small syringe indeed had Mark's name on it. Then they showed my the stats on his sample (I won't bore you with the details, but it couldn't have been much better!). Then they showed my the long catheter they would use to get the 'sample' past my cervix.
Sorry if this is all too much information...but you are still reading it aren't you? :)
It was just me and the nurse in the room. I undressed from the waist down, she attached the catheter to the syringe, inserted a speculum, and then inserted the catheter. It didn't feel the best, but it wasn't really any worse than a pap smear. It was all done in a matter of a minute or so. Then she had me lay there by myself for ten minutes and I was free to go.
While laying there alone, I giggled out loud. I don't know if it's the drugs, but I just thought it was funny. This is what I have to do to get pregnant? Who knew! It is just all too weird and unnatural.
With Mark's good 'sample', we have about a 25% chance of conceiving. That is a 75% chance of not conceiving, so I'm not getting my hopes up. It's better than the natural 5-10% chance that the average couple has every month because we took out some of the guess work, but the odds are still against us. I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic and try not to torture myself during the two-week waiting period that has now begun!
Monday, October 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

cropped+B%26W.jpg)
2 comments:
It IS weird, isn't it? Our doctor had us do our own thang at home later the same day, just so that we can always say that THAT is what got us pregnant!
25% . . . is that all? It seems is should be SO much higher than that. Argh.
Good luck! I hope this is your cycle!
Post a Comment