Saturday, November 8, 2008

Destruction of the Wedding Dress







Now that my mom and I got through our curtain project, we decided to start another. For awhile I've been wondering what to do with my wedding dress. I never had it cleaned, so it's in bad shape that way. I've never counted on my daughter wanting to wear it for her wedding, and it just kills me to have it hanging in a closet taking up space. I thought about selling it on Craigslist or Ebay, or giving it away...but it wasn't that expensive in the first place. It almost wouldn't pay to clean it and sell it and I would feel bad giving it away when it is so dirty. So, I've just kept it sitting in the closet waiting for a good idea.
A coworker said someone she knew had made her wedding dress into a baptismal gown. Perfect! I can make my daughter wear it when she is three months old instead of when she is thirty years old, and it will still have some sentimental value.

So, tonight we tore my wedding dress apart. It really didn't bother me at all. I think I just felt relief to be using it for something else, and something special. You can see the process and the final product of our tearing. We have some good pieces to work with. We think we can salvage some of the beading to include it in the baptismal gown. I'm excited!

1 comment:

Polka Dot said...

I think that's a great idea!