Wednesday, May 21, 2008

We Finally Got a Shot!!

The FET went well yesterday. They put in the two embryos that they were going to put in for our original IVF. After the freeze and thaw, the embryologist said they looked 'good'. They weren't 'great' but they weren't 'bad'. We are cautiously hopeful.

Success rates for FETs are lower than with a regular IVF cycle. I've seen figures ranging from a 20% to 40% chance of pregnancy from an FET cycle. Fresh IVF cycles have success rates of over 50%. I guess my point is, don't get disappointed if this cycle doesn't work. It doesn't mean I'm doomed to be barren for the rest of my life. It's all a numbers game and with seven more frozen embryos and two more fresh IVFs with the frozen embryos they might bring...we can play that game way better than most!

For now, I'm thinking positive, snugly thoughts for my two little embryos and I'm hanging out on bed rest until tomorrow.

It all seems so strange. It baffles me that success rates are so low. Granted, the pregnancy rate for two fertile adults per month is under 10%, but it just seems like with two good embryos placed in a good uterus, the success rate should be higher than 20-40%. We've taken the guess work out of proper ovulation, open tubes, ability of the sperm to penetrate an egg and form a normal embryo. Literally, all they have to do is implant and grow! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers! We will know in the beginning of June!

2 comments:

Polka Dot said...

Yay! I'm glad it all went well. I'll be praying for you and the two embies.

Julie, Todd, Kate and Miles said...

Erin,

Glad your FET went well! Sending lots of sticky vibes your way!
Thinking of you,
Julie